Project title: Strengthening Health Outcomes for Women & Children (SHOW)
Implemented by: YPSA
Supported by: Plan International, Bangladesh
Funded by: Global Affairs, Canada
Project Location/Area: Panchari Upzilla, Khagrachari Hill Tract
Union (5): Panchari Sadar, Logang, Chengi, Latiban& Ultachari (Village/Para: 246)
Duration of Project: 4th April’2016 to 31 December’2019
Implementation Areas under Plan International: Multi-country MNCH Project is implementing in Plan Bangladesh, Plan Ghana, Plan Haiti, Plan Nigeria and Plan Senegal to address the high rates of maternal, neonatal and child mortality.In Bangladesh-
1. Nilphamari District
2. Borguna Sadar Upazila
3. Panchari Upazila in Khagrachari District
Direct beneficiaries – Most marginalized & vulnerable mothers & pregnant women; Adolescent girls (age between 15-19 years); Newborns; Children under five.
1000.Contribute to the reduction of maternal and child mortality in targeted regions
1. 1100.Improved utilization of essential health services by women of child bearing age (WCBA), adolescent girls, newborns & children under 5 living in poverty, with high vulnerability.
2. 1200.Improved delivery of quality essential health services to WCBA, adolescent girls, newborns and children under 5 living in poverty, with high vulnerability.
3. 1300.Increased dissemination & use of data by project, communities, health committees, service providers, planners & decision makers.
Key Activities of SHOW Project
1. Increased Knowledge through Community SBCC; Video clips-SBBC session; Video story /script; ICT based SBCC; T4D of gender equality & MNCH; Community radio; Campaigns on MNCH; Training of volunteers; Swim-safe program.
2. Gender Mainstreaming & Networking – Gender equality & women’s leadership for CHC; male & community influencers’ engagement; Peer education.
3. Community mobilization – Strengthen or establish CS Groups & Adolescent Groups and SHG, men’s groups, change-maker, VSLA Groups; policy & system for Health social fund mobilization.
4. Facility strengthening – Form/Train CG (CG, CSG, UH&FWC) for MNCH services; Training for CG on GR & management services; Facilitate meeting (monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly);
5. 24/7 delivery; Trained to CSBA; Training on BEMOC, F-IMCI,, data continuum, Skilled base manual; MoH&FW training manuals.
6. Improved accountability – Increased dissemination and use of data; Improved HMIS; Data collection tools development; Advocacy with MIS –DGHS to monitor; Training on record keeping; Training on database for management; Strengthening regularly reporting & dissemination system.
7. Improved process of sharing result & learning- Share gendered project findings; develop gender responsive clinic standard; Introduce suggestion box at Clinic; Training for media coverage; Establish CS, GE & model village; Award for Model Centers annually.
Basic Information on Beneficiariesunder Panchari Upazila
Total Household: 14,709
Total Population: 64,130 (Population 2015 has calculated using growth rate of BBS 2011)
Adol. Girl 15-19 year: 3,085
Women 20-49 year: 9,666
Total Under <5 Children: 7,478
Total Direct Population: 32,296
Total Indirect Population: 31,834
Major Communities: Chakma, Muslim, Marma, Tripura, Hindu, Santal, Barua etc.
Health Facilities in Panchari Upazila
Community Clinic: 5 (Logang-1, Chengi-1, Panchari Sadar-2, Lotiban-1)
Union Health & Family Welfare Center: 2 (Logang & Chengi Union)
Upazila Health Complex: 1 (Panchari)
District Hospital: 1 (Khagrachari)
Maternal & Child Welfare Center: 1 (Khagrachari).