Project title: Community Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM) inclusive in South Asia program.
Donor: Handicap International. Duration: June 2011 to September 2012.
Contribute to reducing the vulnerability of South Asian populations living in areas most affected by natural disasters, by increasing the awareness and the response capacities of local communities to potential and frequent natural disasters and to reduce the effects on the most vulnerable.
Enhanced inclusive community based disaster risk management practices at community level in South Asia serve to advocate at national and regional levels for inclusive disaster risk management.
YPSA has been awarded one 15 month long (July 2011 to August 2012) regional project, namely “Make community-based disaster risk management inclusive in South Asia” under the DIPECHO VI Action Plan for South Asia. The principal objective of this project is to “contribute to reducing the vulnerability of South Asian populations living in areas most affected by natural disasters, by increasing the awareness and the response capacities of local communities to potential and frequent natural disasters and to reduce the effects on the most vulnerable”. This regional project will be implemented in 5 countries of South Asia, namely Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
Under this regional project, Handicap International Bangladesh is responsible implement the component Bangladesh. As a part of implementation strategy, Handicap International Bangladesh is entering into partnership with Young Power in Social Action (YPSA) for quality implementation, sustainability and joint advocacy. The project will be implemented in Sitakund, Chittagong.
In the context, this Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is being proposed between two organizations, Handicap International Bangladesh and Young Power in Social Action (YPSA).
Geographic Location Coverage:
|Name of District||Name of Upazilla||Name of Union||Name of Shelters||Name of Village||Beneficiary/TG coverage|
|Chittagong||Sitakund||1 no Sayedpur||North weast SayedpurMohanagar||North weast SayedpurEast SayedpurAnterkhali
|7 no Kumira||AlakdiaKazipara||AlakdiaKoatparaNorth GoramaraKaziparaShonarpara
- Conduct participatory community vulnerability mapping and develop inclusive contingency plans.
- Conduct community capacity building and awareness on rights and inclusion of persons with disabilities in inclusive disaster management.
- Implement community mitigation initiatives to improve accessibility and participation of persons with disabilities in community based disaster management processes.
- Conduct community trainings and drills on inclusive disaster preparedness.
- Pre-positioning at disaster management centres of disability related equipment for disaster response
- Identify persons with disabilities and their families, assess their needs, and provide them with information and referral to facilitate access to services
- Support persons with disabilities to increase mobility in case of disaster
- Capacity building of persons with disabilities and caregivers for self-preparedness for disaster
- Collect and document good community level inclusive disaster risk management practices
- Support the linkage, interaction and exchange of disability and DM bodies at different levels
- Initiate strategic collaboration with relevant institutions and DRM actors to increase their knowledge and advocate for the inclusion of disability and DRM issues in practices and curricula.
- Proactively integrate disability actors, particularly DPOs into DRM and inclusive DRM.
- Provide technical support to DM authorities to review policy documents and make them more inclusive.
- Train senior and middle management staff from DM authorities, district, block and local self-governance institutions on UNCRPD and inclusive disaster management
- Conduct a regional KAP study of stakeholders on the integration of disability in DRM
- Consolidate tools developed within each country into a regional disaster management toolkit
- Share good community-level practices at regional level and coordinate the development of innovative practices and guidelines on selected topics
- Develop the linkage between Disaster Risk Management and emergency response.
- Disseminate good practices towards governmental and non governmental actors.
Target & Achievement:
|Activities||Target(11-12)||Achievement(11-12)||Cumulative Achievement from the beginning|
|Union level program inception||02||02|
|Upazilla level program inception||01||01|
|Disaster volunteer meeting||32||32|
|Disaster volunteer training||04||04|
|Cyclone Shelter Management Committee meeting||32||32|
|Cyclone Shelter Management Committee training||04||04|
|Union Disaster Management Committee meeting||16||16|
|Union Disaster Management Committee training||02||02|
|Upazilla Disaster Management Committee meeting||07||07|
|Upazilla Disaster Management Committee training||02||02|
|Disable focal person training||01||01|
|Village level Community Risk assessment(CRA)||11 village||11 village|
|Union level Community Risk assessment(CRA)||2 union||2 union|
|Village level Contingency plan||11 village||11 village|
|Union level Contingency plan||2 union||2 union|
|Courtyard Meeting||86 meeting||86 meeting|
|Fisherman meeting||18 meeting||18 meeting|
|Self help group meeting||40 meeting||40 meeting|
|Program inception for Self help group||04||04|
|Inclusive DRM training for School Management Committee training||04||04|
|Art Competition||08 school||08 school|
|Inclusive DRM training for Other Disability Concern group training||04 batch||4 batch|
|Assistant device distribution||200 person||200 person|