YPSA Modhumita program aims to address the lack of appropriate social support frameworks, appropriate provision of HIV/AIDS and sexual health promotion services to meet the specific needs of the Street Based Sex workers and their client through the development of appropriate advocacy including IEC, social support systems, early and effective treatment of STDs, counseling and health education, outreach workers and peer educators and promotion of condoms among the target people in Chittagong.
To reduce the risk of STI and HIV transmission among street-based sex workers and their clients in the city of Chittagong.
Modhumita project focuses on prevention of HIV,AIDS prevention through center and –field activities. The activities included regular health education session, advocacy with different stakeholders-police, community people, condom depot holders, local elite, teachers and religious leaders.YPSA has been conducting 2 Integrated Health service center (IHC) in Chittagong City.The main activities of the Project are to conduct IHCs (Modhumita), Peer Education through10 PE from SBSWs, STI case management, HIV testing and counseling (VCT),Family Planning counseling, Condom promotion, Capacity & Life skill training, Advocacy & Networking,Create awareness for TB diagnosis and directly observed treatment services among IHC’s.syphilis testing and treatment, forming Flying squad, providing active support for organizing Regional Advocacy workshop and forming Regional Media forum and linkage for VCT with Global funded project of the period of RCC .
Location of MHC: Nala Para, Chittagong
Key program components:
1. Create a supportive environment for HIV and STI prevention through social mobilization.
- Project Facilitating Team Meeting, Advocacy with local religious leaders.police.School authority & different stake holders.
- Day Observation.
- Form Flying Squade& Regional Media Forum.
- Collaborate with faith based initiatives for HIV Prevention.
- Create Regional Media Forum.
2. Increase competency of project staff on project management and behavior change.
- Refreshers Training.
3. Promote risk elimination and risk reduction practices among street based sex worker and their clients through outreach and Modhumita health centers
- Outreach activities by PE & outreach supervisors at field level.
- Conduct on site contact client groups,condom depot holder & other stake holders.
- Awareness raising meeting with local authority
- Training for proxy PE
- Convey awareness through cultural event
4. Provide quality sexual and reproductive health services including STI management and family planning information and referral
- Promotion of STI clinical services through Outreach
- Provide STI case management services
- Screening, testing and provide treatment of syphilis
- On job support to field team for delivering messages of STI & Syphilis
- Ensure partner referral
- Ensure drop box in referred agency and collect referral cards
- Collaboration with other services
5. create a structured Quality Improvement (QI) system
- Participate QAQI workshop.
- Regional monitoring visit of QI team.
6. Provide high quality HIV counseling and testing (CT) service.
- Provide high quality pre and post counseling
- Offer HIV rapid test with same day result
- Ensure quality assurance and quality control for HIV counseling and testing
- Refer HIV positive cases for care and support.
- Ensure workplace safety
- Counseling training
7. Create awareness for TB diagnosis and directly observed treatment services among the clients.
- Group meeting on TB and TB/HIV.
- Refreshers on TB/HIV co-infection
- Community sensitization meeting on TB
- Referral linkage for diagnosis & treatment
8. Strengthen referral networks of their services for their clients
- Refer drug using SW & their clients for treatment & rehabilitation
- Explore non funded collaboration for economic rehabilitation
- Integrate general health & other services
- Disseminate information on family Planning to the Target population
- Ensure FP Counseling at center level
- Ensure STI drugs through leveraging
- Collaboration with GO/NGOs for vocational training.
9.Increase Knowledge, skills & access to products for correct use of condoms in high risk sexual encounters.
- Provide knowledge for correct & consistence use of condom
10.Improve medical waste management.
- Ensure logistics and on the job training for color coding and lebeling.
- Ensure implementation of MWM SOP.
YPSA Modhumita project aiming To reduce the risk of STI and HIV transmission among street-based sex workers and their clients in the city of Chittagong.The program aims to address the lack of appropriate social support frameworks, appropriate provision of HIV/AIDS and sexual health promotion services to meet the specific needs of the Street Based Sex workers and their client through the development of appropriate advocacy including IEC, social support systems, early and effective treatment of STDs, counseling and health education, outreach workers and peer educators and promotion of condoms among the target people in Chittagong. From the different angle Chittagong is one of most vulnerable areas for STD,HIV,AIDS& TB : those are geographical location, internal & external migration, Major port city of the country, life style of mass people and impact of modernization and above all ignorance or miss conception about STD,HIV & AIDS.
YPSA has been implementing this project since November 2002 to inform this group and its clients about HIV/AIDS in the hope of preventing more HIV infections. The ultimate goal is to maintain the health of the SBSW group and to reduce the future spread of HIV, and impact of AIDS, in Bangladesh.YPSA has been implementing HIV/AIDS Prevention program among HIV and STI prevention project on Street Based Sex Workers (ModhumitaProject ) in Chittagong City area since November2002 supported by FHI-USAID under IMPACT, BAP &Modhumita Project. YPSA has been conducting 2 Integrated Health service center (IHC) in Chittagong City.
- YPSA observed World Aids Day 2012
- USAID evaluation team visited YPSA Modhumita Center
- USAID Team Visit YPSA’s Modhumita Project
- YPSA celebrated International Women’s Day 2012
- Country Director of FHI360, Save The Children and USAID Health team Visits YPSA Modhumita Center
- YPSA observed World Aids Day’ 2011
- USAID team visits YPSA
- USAID team visited YPSA’s HIV program
- “International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking” observed
- The American Center’s team visited YPSA
- Country Director, Family Health International visited YPSA’s Modhumita Project
- World Tuberculosis Day 2010 observed
- World AIDS Day 2009 observed
- YPSA official participated in the International Visitor Leadership Program on HIV/AIDS Education and Prevention in the USA
- USAID Team visited YPSA’s Integrated Health Centre (IHC)