YPSA has been implementing a project titled “Promoting smoke Free local Government and Public Spaces in Bangladesh” with the support of CTFK since April 2009 aiming to promote smoke free local government and public spaces, by advocating for smoke free guideline and effective tobacco control practices at City Corporation and Municipal level. YPSA is implementing this initiative with 11 local governments (2 City Corporation and 9 Municipalities) in 11 districts of Chittagong Division.
In the previous fiscal year (2014-2015), 10 local governments of Chittagong division allocated a total of 31 lacs 20 thousand taka in their annual budget for implementation of Smoke free Guideline and TC program. As before, YPSA has conducted advocacy with the local governments for increasing the allocation of budget for tobacco control initiatives in the fiscal year of 2015-2016.
In the meantime 6 local governments already declared their annual budget and 5 local governments yet to declare their budget. As a result of continuous advocacy by YPSA, 6 local governments has allocated and increased their budget than the previous year. In the previous year their budget was BDT. 9,50,000 (Nine lacs fifty thousand taka) but this year their budget is BDT. 14, 85,000 (Fourteen lacs eighty five thousand taka) which is BDT 5,35,000 (Five lacs thirty five thousand taka) more than the previous year.
- Cox’s Bazar Municipality – 1,25,000 taka (One lac twenty five thousand)
- Chandpur Municipality – 5,00,000 taka (Five lacs taka)
- Feni Municipality – 2,50,000 taka (Two lacs fifty thousand taka)
- Noakhali Municipality – 5,00,000 taka (Five lacs taka)
- Brahman Baria Municipality- 50,000 taka (Fifty thousand taka)
- Khagrachari Municipal – 60,000 taka (Fifty thousand taka)
Total – 14, 85, 000 taka (Fourteen lacs eighty five thousand)