A meeting of Tobacco Control Taskforce Committee of Chittagong held on 5 January 2016 at the Conference Room, DC office. Mr. Mesbah Uddin, Deputy Commissioner of Chittagong district and President of Taskforce committee has presided over the meeting. Dr. Azizur Rahman, Civil Surgeon of Chittagong and Secretary of Tobacco Control Taskforce committee and other taskforce members have attended the meeting. The present tobacco control situation, violation of TC law and the status of enforcement of TC law were discussed in the meeting and the following decisions have taken-
1) There is a designated smoking area in Chittagong Shah Amanat International Air port which does not comply the TC law and there is also a tobacco advertisement (Marlboro company) inside the airport so it was decided that a mobile court would be conducted in Chittagong Shah Amanat International Air port for enforcing the Law. It was also decided that YPSA would cooperate to conduct the mobile court and follow up with the local administration.
2) YPSA shared that the Chittagong city corporation had allocated 1 crore taka for implementing the tobacco control program in fiscal year 2015-16. It was decided that Mr. Mesba Uddin, DC of Chittagong would coordinate with the Mayor of Chittagong City Corporation for effective utilization of budget.
3) DC office will issue a letter to local cable TV network for disseminating the anti tobacco message in their cable service. YPSA will provide the anti tobacco messages to DC office.
4) YPSA shared that the Divisional Commissioner of Chittagong Division assigned Mr. Anowar – Ul – Haleem, Assistant Commissioner as a Divisional focal point officer for coordinating all tobacco control initiatives in Chittagong Division. It was decided that District Task force committee would invite the focal point officer in the next meetings and DC would discuss with Divisional Commissioner for effective coordination.
5) Chittagong DC Office gave the responsibility to Ms. Suriya Akter Sweety, Assistant Commissioner, DC office for conducting mobile court in all restaurants in Chittagong district. It was decided that TC law would be incorporated in the list of these mobile courts along with other two issues.
6) It was decided that Authorized officers in Chittagong district especially sanitary inspectors would be mobilized for implementing the TC law.
After meeting, Ms. Nasim Banu, Team Leader and Mr. Omar Shahed, Program Officer of Smoke Free project of YPSA have given festoon with anti tobacco message to Deputy Commissioner and Civil Surgeon of Chittagong District.