Dr Alauddin Majumdar, Director, Health, Chittagong Division has issued a circular to all Health facilities/centers of Chittagong Division on 26th August 2015 with some instructions and directions for taking initiatives for making their place Tobacco free. He declared that all the Health facilities of Chittagong Division like district sadar/general hospital/TB hospital/Port health center/Central skin & social health center/Medical sub depo/Upazilla health complex/ Union health & family welfare center/Union sub-centers and Community clinics are smoke free.
As a result of it, a total of 3317 health facilities of Chittagong Division became smoke free. He has mentioned the following major directions in the letter
- Ban smoking in all health facilities as per article 4 of Tobacco Control Law.
- Role of owner/ authority/ manager for keeping the health facilities smoke free as per article 7 of Tobacco Control Law.
- Display No smoking signage in all visible places as per article 8 of Tobacco Control Law.
- Take initiative to aware the people about the harms of Tobacco use
- The chief of the health facility will inspect and monitor the initiative of tobacco control.