Community Legal Services (CLS), Maxwell Stamp PLC and DFID
From 1st July 2014 to 31 March 2017
Aim of the Project
To facilitate access to justice for marginalised and vulnerable communities in hard to reach areas through community empowerment and access to quality legal services in selected areas in Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar district.
- To increase community’s awareness and knowledge of the formal legal system, available legal services, and pathways for accessing remedies in cases of injustice.
- To improve delivery of community legal services by building the capacity of justice service providers to increase their responsiveness to community needs.
- To ensure the delivery of fair and equitable legal services through CLS centers in collaboration with relevant GO-NGO initiatives and organizations.
Project Working Area:
|Name of Districts||Sub-Districts||Number of Union|
|Cox’s bazaar||Moheshkhali Upazilla||09|
Output 1: Poor and marginalized group are legally empowered to claim all sorts of available legal services at their own community for seeking remedies
Activity 1.1: Legal education for the awareness of the target groups
Cultural Campaign e.g video shows, street theater, folk songs
Day Observation (Human rights day, National legal aid day)
Court yard Meeting through flip charts with Women and Girls
Publications like posters, digitally printed poster, stickers, Installation of bill boards in upazilla, Installation of sign board in CLS centre, wall writings, pictorial flipchart for court yard meeting
Broadcast messages through Community Radio in Swandip Island e.g folk song, talking drama, public opinion and interview.
Produce digital Talking book.
Activity 1.2: Forming CLS coalitions at Upazilla level for providing assistance for legal education on the legal rights and the available legal services with the representatives of civil society
Orientation workshop to formulate coalition of different active civil society Representatives to act on legal protection for the poor and marginalized in the local community
Planning Workshop of coalitions for sharing experiences and future activities on legal protection for the poor and marginalized in the local community
Follow up meeting with Coalition Members to share experiences and future activities
Activity 1.3: Providing knowledge and awareness to the CLS coalition’s members to take effective measure for obtaining justice for the victims through community legal services.
Training for the coalition members on available legal rights and remedies /services
Refresher’s training for the CLS coalition members.
Output 2: The function and accountability of the justice service providers (LGIs) at the local level for improving access to justice for disadvantage and vulnerable groups
Activity 2.1: Developing capacity of justice service providers at the local level (LGIs)
Adoption of training Module (on legal rights, remedies and available services)
Training on available legal rights, remedies and services for the members of the local government
Refresher’s Trainings for the local government.
Activity 2.2: Linking with the service providers for provision of legal service delivery to the target groups
Workshop with local level justice service providers on provision of legal service delivery
Coordination meetings with the service providers like UP members, ULAC members and coalition members for provision of pro-poor and gender friendly legal service delivery
GO-NGO Collaboration meetings to activate local level justice services for the vulnerable community in the project locations.
Sharing meeting to activate UZLAC
Meeting with District Legal Aid Committee (DLAC)
Meeting with District Nari-O-Shishu Nirjaton Protirodh Committee.
Output 3: Women and vulnerable people have been able to access legal services from CLS centers; village court and LGIs:
Activity 3.1: Establishing 15 CLS centers in different working areas
- Setting up 15 CLS centers on the basis of clustering where one center will cover 5 unions
- Launching meetings of the CLS centers
- Orientation meetings for Panel Lawyers (to be hired for CLS centers)
- Legal Advice through panel lawyers in CLS centers
- Provision of mediation where appropriate at the local level by involving panel lawyers.
Activity 3.2: Support the victims for prompt community legal service
Emergency Medical Support to Victims
Transport support to Victims
Refer cases to the legal expert organization e.g BLAST and DLAC
Regular follow up of cases (Monitoring visit)
Out Put 4: Cross cutting activities
Project Launching Program
Community Need Assessment and Final Evaluation
Project planning workshop on program, financial management and donor compliance
Training for Trainers (ToT)-for front line staffs on legal rights and remedies
Project Coordination meeting
Consortium Management Committee (CMC) meeting
Project Human Resources
Program Coordinator, YPSA
Program Manager (LA), BLAST
Program Officer (Training), YPSA
Program officer (Campaign & Communication), YPSA
Monitoring & Documentation Officer (2), YPSA
Upazilla Manager (6), YPSA
Field Facilitator (15), YPSA
Finance and Accounts Officer (2), YPSA
Finance (Accounts) Officer, BLAST
MIS Assistant, BLAST
Lawyers at Upazilla level, BLAST
- YPSA received BEACON award on Innovating Service Delivery
- YPSA launches book on community legal support at regional learning sharing meeting of YPSA-Community Legal Services for Access to Justice
- YPSA- CLS Project Coordination Meeting Held at Rangunia
- District Legal Aid Officer attends YPSA-CLS Coalition members meeting at Rangunia
- Sharing meeting with Chittagong District Legal Aid Committee held
- YPSA-CLS carries out signature campaign against sexual harassment in educational institution
- Awareness meetings on Stop Corporal Punishment and Sexual Harassment at Educational Institutions
- International Indigenous Day celebrated at YPSA-Community Legal Services for Access to Justice Project Area
- Project Coordination Meeting on YPSA-Community Legal Services for Access to Justice Program held
- YPSA–CLS organizes orientation for CLS-Coalition members in Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar
- Regional Partners Coordination Meeting of Community Legal Services (CLS) held
- Team leader of Community Legal Services (CLS) visits YPSA
- YPSA celebrates National Legal Aid Day 2016
- Human chain to end violence against woman
- YPSA observed International Women’s Day 2016